Learn what to expect after charged with a drug crime in this educational article, then contact our Buffalo attorney to get started today.
1. Penalties for Being Arrested for a Drug Crime
You could see mandatory prison sentencing and very expensive fines. I recommend as a Buffalo Criminal Defense Attorney that if you are facing drug charges, it is extremely important that every defense position be explored.
2. Marijuana Legality in New York State
- It is illegal to possess marijuana in NYS
- Possessing over 28 grams of marijuana is a serious offense; you could be charged with a misdemeanor or felony
3. Caught with Less Than 28 Grams of Marijuana
- If you are caught with less than 28 grams of marijuana, it is a non-criminal charge
- Usually, I will be able to get you a delayed dismissal or an ACD for first time offense for possessing less than 28 grams of marijuana.
4. Charged with Possession of Prescription Pills
- Having prescription pills outside of the prescribed container can be a violation of public health law
5. Charged with Intent to Distribute a Dangerous Substance
- There are different levels of possessing a controlled substance, that range from misdemeanors to felonies
- The weight and type of drug decide whether the charge will be a felony or misdemeanor
6. Charged with Possession of Cocaine
- Possessing cocaine could result in either a misdemeanor or a felony
- The type of cocaine and the amount will determine whether or not the charge will be a misdemeanor or a felony
7. Charged with Possession of Heroin
- There are things we can do to both mitigate your charge and help beat your addiction
If you or a loved one have been charged with a drug crime, you need to learn what to expect after charged with a drug crime. Contact our dedicated and experienced Buffalo Drug Crime Attorney Arthur Pressman to get started on your claim today.
Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel