Buffalo DWI Attorney Discusses What Will Happen When You Are Pulled Over for DWI
I am frequently asked as a Buffalo DWI Attorney what will happen if they are pulled over for suspected DWI in New York. The officer will have you step out of your vehicle for standard field sobriety tests. I advise my clients as a Buffalo DWI Attorney that the most common tests are:
- HGN Test – Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus Test : An officer will ask you to look at a pen as he moves it side by side to look for any eye movements to detect alcohol.
- Walk and Turn Test: You are asked to walk nine steps heel to toe in a straight line. The officer will detect how you are walking and if you are using your arms to balance or even fall down.
- One Legged Stand: Raise one of your legs and hold it up and count for 30 seconds. The officer will look to see if you can keep your leg up for that time.
- Finger to Nose Test: Requires you to extend your arms out and touch your nose, typically three times being completely straight.
- Romberg’s Test: Keep your arms by your side while standing attention, you will tilt your head back and hold it there. The officer will look to see if you are swaying side to side.
- Alphabet Test: Saying the alphabet beginning to end or starting the alphabet at a certain letter and then finishing it up. The officer is looking to see if you can do this and follow directions.
If you have been pulled over for suspected DWI or DWAI in New York, contact our experienced Buffalo DWI Attorneys to be your ticket to justice!
Out of Town Legal Resources
The other day someone called our office looking for help with a DUI in Phoenix. We don’t practice in Arizona but we found this criminal defense firm in Phoenix that has experience with DUI defenses and offers a lot of great online resources. If you or a loved one is charged with DUI in Arizona check out the Phoenix DUI guide