Understanding DWI Penalties in New York
Protecting your future is why we practice law
A DWI conviction can result in immediate and serious consequences. Drunk driving / DWI penalties in New York are severe and can have a cascading effect on your driving privileges, employment and assets. If you are arrested on suspicion of DWI, you need to contact Buffalo DWI lawyer Arthur L. Pressman immediately. Time is critical, and we are prepared to fight for your rights, even if you have had DWI convictions in the past.
Know what charges you are up against
Knowing the situations in which you can be charged with a DWI/DUI is important. New York prosecutes those who commit the following crimes:
- Driving while intoxicated: You may be convicted of a DWI if your blood alcohol content (BAC) is 0.08% or higher, and you demonstrate other evidence of intoxication.
- Driving while ability impaired by alcohol (DWAI-Alcohol): In New York, you may be convicted of a DWAI-Alcohol if you have a BAC of between 0.05% and 0.07% or if you show other evidence that you are impaired.
- Driving while ability impaired by a drug other than alcohol (DWAI-Drug): This charge can result if you are found to be impaired by chemical substances other than alcohol.
- Refusal to take a chemical test: When you refuse to take alcohol testing by blood or urine, or by a host of other means, at the very least, your license may be revoked and you’ll have to pay a $500 civil penalty.
- Zero tolerance law: If you are a New York driver under the age of 21, you are charged with a DWI if you are found to have any traces of alcohol in your system while driving.
- Multiple DWI convictions: Prior DWIs can lead to harsher penalties if you are convicted. Even a single prior offense can quadruple jail time and double fines.
Consequences to your driving privileges
If you are convicted in the state of New York for a DWI, DUI or DWAI, or for refusing to submit to testing, you may be subject to the following DWI penalties:
- Suspension or revocation of your driving privileges
- Revocation of your drivers license (minimum one year) for refusal to take a chemical BAC test
- Fines of up to $2,500 for a first offense
- Fees and surcharges for a conditional license or new license application
- Fees for any treatment/educational classes
Denying yourself the proper representation may have devastating consequences for your future, especially for multiple violations. Having a savvy, tenacious Buffalo DWI Lawyer on your side can make all the difference. Buffalo DWI lawyer Arthur L. Pressman helps you avoid financial burdens, suspension of your license and severe criminal DWI penalties.
Let your next decision be your best decision
Your reaction time is essential, and Buffalo DWI lawyer Arthur Pressman can help you right away. If you or a family member is in need of a DWI lawyer who is familiar with New York state law, contact Buffalo DWI lawyer Arthur L. Pressman at (716) 984-1795 or online. For your convenience, our office is on the subway line, and we offer a free initial phone consultation seven days a week.
“Being arrested and faced with a charge is one of the scariest moments in a person’s life, and a good lawyer is necessary to ensure peace of mind as well as a favorable result. Thankfully Mr. Pressman was professional, diligent, responsive, and effective in his work. I am forever grateful for his services.”
– Emil Ferdman
Request Your Free Consultation
When it comes to criminal defense, experience is what matters most. Arthur Pressman has over 30 years of experience defending good people from bad situations. Schedule your free consultation and let his experience work for you.
I was advised by a mutual acquaintance to contact Mr. Pressman following my DWI that I received on December 28, 2015. This was the best advice that I could have been given. He was available immediately to speak with. I was put at ease after speaking with him. It was my first DWI and I had no idea what to expect. It was an isolated case of making a very foolish decision to drive. I had so much anxiety and fear of the unknown. Throughout my whole case Mr. Pressman was very reassuring and kept a positive attitude about what my outcome was going to be. He was available several times when I had random questions and never made me feel like an inconvenience. He was right! My case ended up being reduced to a violation from a misdemeanor and now I can finally begin to have my life back to normal. It was a hard lesson to learn but with the right attorney by your side the transition will be easier.
Highly recommended Arthur pressman. I don’t live in Buffalo New York but while visiting my family there from Florida. I got pulled over while driving on a, suspended license in Florida. They arrested me and gave me a court date to appear in court and due to me living out of state I just could not afford to go back and forth to buffalo from Florida so that’s when I hired Arthur Pressman. He made sure to handle everything for me and kept me informed with what was going on. I received no points no penalties and the case was dropped. Thank you Arthur pressman your the best. Would definitely recommend you to family and friends.
Arthur Pressman is who you want representing you in court. My son was pulled over and charged with 3 felonies and several misdemeanors. It was a terrible time, with my son arrested and taken to the holding center. I contacted Mr. Pressmant, and it wasn’t long before the felonies were dropped as were some of the misdemeanors. My son is now getting the help he needs. Mr. Pressman is highly respected in the court system. I am very thankful for what he was able to do. We felt like we were living a nightmare but things turned around and got better because of him. He is very professional but also a genuine nice person . I highly recommend him.