Have you been charged with speeding and have questions about these speeding ticket tips? Check out this article, then call our Buffalo lawyer.
- There is a point system for speeding tickets in New York State
- The point system is based on how fast you were going
- 0-10 mph is 3 points, 11-20 is 4 points, 21-30 is 6 points, 31-40 is 8 points, and 41 mph over the speed limit is 11 points which will result in you losing your license.
Resolving Speeding Tickets
Speeding is a traffic offense in New York. Speeding tickets are costly and can cause your insurance premiums to go up based on the accumulation of points on your license. In addition, if your insurance company considers you high risk as a result of excessive tickets, your insurance is dropped completely. Getting a ticket doesn’t mean you’re guilty of speeding. At the office of Arthur L. Pressman, Attorney at Law, we have more than 30 years working successfully with the traffic court system.
Means Of Determining Speeding
A variety of different methods and forms of technology are used to measure the speed of a vehicle. Some of the most common methods of determining the charge are with the following devices:
- Lasers: A laser is aimed at the targeted vehicle and the time/distance is measured. Lasers can pinpoint specific vehicles in congested traffic.
- Radar guns: Radar guns aim an electromagnetic signal to determine the speed of a vehicle. An officer who uses the radar device has to be certain it is not picking up objects that may be in the targeted zone and cause interference.
- Clock and pace method: An officer moves his vehicle behind another vehicle, keeping a uniform pace between the two vehicles for a certain time using the speedometer to measure the overall speed.
- Speed cameras: In New York, a speed radar camera is used to trigger a camera to photograph vehicles traveling faster than a set speed. This type of device also captures the specific time, location and speed.
- Aerial speed devices: Police in New York measure vehicle speeds by aircraft by monitoring the time it takes the target to travel between two marked spots. They then signal to ground officers who issue the speeding violation.
Points For Speeding
|1–10 mph over the speed limit||3 points|
|11–20 mph over the speed limit||4 points|
|21-30 mph over the speed limit||6 points|
|40+ mph over the speed limit||11 points*|
*Eleven points means that your license is suspended.
Have you been charged with speeding and have questions about these speeding ticket tips? If so, contact the experienced Buffalo Speeding Ticket Attorney Arthur Pressman.
Like us on Facebook